It started in Oct 2013, when our founder Bryan Choo, felt it was strange that Singaporeans had to turn to foreign guide books to read about where to get the best chilli crabs in Singapore.
He felt more could be done for locals, and that inspired him to create the first hyperlocal publisher that captured these nuances in Singapore, created by locals – The Smart Local.
The years that followed was marked with future expansion, as TSL opened regional offices in KL and Thailand. In 2023, TSL Media Group invested more in SaaS, data and tech, through the launching of NeuHR and the acquisition of a software company. The goal was to further develop data-driven capabilities, to help formulate the best in class approach to creating campaigns clients.
Today, TSL Media Group is an award-winning media tech collective that is home to 8 well-loved media brands in the region.
Connecting the world through a hyperlocal lens
To become the leading media tech collective in Southeast Asia
- The Business Times – TheSmartLocal’s regional push gets leg-up with acquisition of Malaysian tech firm
- Marketing Interactive – TheSmartLocal CEO bullish on media tech transformation with acquisition of MY-based firm
- Marketing Interactive – TheSmartLocal nabs key talent from ad land to help with growth ambitions
- Marketing Interactive – TheSmartLocal launches YouTube drama series inspired by Netflix’s ‘Black Mirror’
- CampaignAsia – The future of lifestyle publishing
- Mumbrella Asia – Winning work: How TheSmartLocal harnessed the power of positivity to beat the big media players
- Mumbrella Asia – The Smart Local creates 4-minute teen romance for Canon
- Mumbrella Asia – Meme-obsessed ‘Ah Bengs’ the stars of new film for Singapore’s Central Provident Fund