Which company should I apply for?
Want to work with us? Great! For the most job fulfilment, choose a company that is aligned with your interests. Here are our 4 main brands and the verticals they cover. It is okay to have multiple interests and to apply for multiple roles. In fact, that would increase your chances!
Here are our 4 companies:
What to do in and out of Singapore. New attractions, events, staycays, helpful guides on adulting, finance, hacks, travel & comedy (On FB/YouTube)
Current affairs, politics, breaking news, social issues. We also mix-up fun memes with interviews with VIPs like ministers.
A passion for food. Undercover reviews, hawkers, cafes, food trends. New restaurants. Taste-tests. Food news.
Female lifestyle, beauty and perspectives. We provide a platform to those without a voice. And also feature hip products.
We are looking for candidates with these skillset:
(and have a portfolio for)
You enjoy writing and are relatively good at it.
You enjoy photography and videography and are relatively good at it.
You love watching YouTube and have edited videos before. You have great comedic timing OR you want to be a great storyteller.
You love short films and want to bring them to life. Your videography skillset is more technical compared to your peers.
You love coming up with fresh and exciting ideas.
Social Media Marketing
You love using TikTok, Instagram and Telegram and see yourself creating content on those platforms.
You have a passion for coding. You enjoy creating technology that automates things and makes life easier.
Into news writing? Then apply for MS News. Want to make light-hearted lifestyle/events/travel videos? Then try applying to TSL as a creative. etc!
Then, click on the positions below to head over to the company pages to learn more about these jobs!
Available Internship Positions
Updated January 2023. In March 2023, all internship positions below will be refreshed and available.
You can start applying in March for our July 2023 internship openings or any of the openings below which we need now.
- Editorial Assistant (Lifestyle)
- Editorial Assistant (Home & Living)
- Social Media Assistant (Editorial)
- SEO Assistant
- Regional Content Creator Assistant (Japan/Korea) – Based in Singapore
- Regional Editorial Assistant (Malaysia)
- Regional Creative Assistant (Malaysia)
- Regional Content Creator Assistant (Thailand)
- Content Strategist Assistant
- Scriptwriter Assistant
- Social Media Assistant (IG and TikTok)
Available Full Time Positions
Updated January 2023.
TheSmartLocal Social Media
Available Freelance Positions
Updated January 2023.
- We'll help grow your social media presence and you'll appear as a talent or actor in our YT channels and productions.
- An exclusive YT / IG talent management contract has to be signed with us. Talents are usually able to monetise and derive a healthy side-income through IG postings, but you also have to work hard.
- We have a full sales and project management team to support you.
- We're looking for brand safe personalities that exude good vibes.
- Send a 1-min video introduction of yourself and share why you're suitable to [email protected] Let us know how available you are in terms of time commitment, to film each week.
- Here's a look at our talent search back in 2017. Fun-fact: Zhin and Rai have went on to become stars of our channel and are still employed with TSL today!
- Freelance parenting writers
- Freelance finance writers
- Write in to [email protected]
- Include writing samples and topics you wish to write about
- Current rates and and expected rates per article
A Peek Into TSL's Office Culture
Internship or Full Time Position?
If you have an interest in pursuing a career in the media industry, TSL is where you’ll get to learn first-hand from a leading new media publisher in Singapore. You don’t have to be super experienced, but you must show potential as these are competitive positions.
If you still can’t imagine what your first job would be after you graduate, this internship may just help you figure that out.
Full Time Positions
All full-time position applicants need to have at least two years of working experience in a relevant field. If you are a fresh grad or want a career change and don’t have the experience, you can apply for our 6 month internship program instead.
You can look at our full-time positions here.
How do I apply?
We receive a lot of applications so please read these instructions carefully to increase your chances of getting an interview. Our next internship batch starts in July 2022 and you can start applying now.
- All interns have to commit to a 6-month long internship, no exception. If you're still in school and are a confused millennial, we recommend taking a gap semester. It may be the best decision you make.
- For those looking for industrial attachments, we regularly work with unis and polys and if your course is relevant, you can take up our internship as part of your school's attachment. We've worked officially with NTU Wee Kim Wee, NUS FASS/CNM, SMU, SP Mass Comm, NYP, etc.
Who is this internship for?
If you have an interest in pursuing a career in the media industry, TSL is where you'll get to learn first-hand from a leading new media publisher in Singapore. You don't have to be super experienced, but you must show potential as these are competitive positions.
You will not be chucked in a corner and left to do menial work. Our interns are mentored by experienced full-timers and you will be given hands-on experience and opportunities. The office culture is very open and collaborative and many interns graduate with lifelong friends.
If you're just looking for 'fun' content for your Instagram account and to "play", this is not the internship for you. We are looking for applicants with a mature attitude towards work, who'll put in their 100% and make the most of out this internship. If you get triggered when people give you feedback, do not apply because nobody is going to entertain your ego. We value interns who recognise feedback is required for growth. And that in every job, there are also the less fun parts that require discipline to see through. But if your worldview is aligned with us, we'll love to welcome you on board.
How to send in an application
Your email will be your first "interview" so think of a way to make yourself stand out. Send an email to Miss Athene at [email protected] with the subject being the position you’re applying for. e.g “Eatbook Creative Assistant”
Use a conversational writing style and tell us over 3 paragraphs:
- About yourself and relevant background experience
- Why you think you’re suitable
- Your social media accounts
- Your period of availability
- Your resume
- You can include your results for this pattern recognition test (optional).
It is absolutely essential to include your portfolio.
Journalist interns should share writing samples. Video producers should include links to their videos. Creatives should include links to their photography work. And so on.
If you do the above right and show us your personality through your writing, you’ll land yourself an interview. This position is challenging and requires responsibility and hard work throughout the internship – that’s the best way to grow and acquire skillsets. If you’re thinking of just having fun at a ‘chill’ job, swipe left. I mean, please do not apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Good luck everyone!